Saturday, February 27, 2010

Scarlett Fever by Maureen Johnson

Publishing House: Point Books
Release Date: February 1, 2010
Pages: 332
Rating: A-

WARNING: May contain few spoilers if you have not read Suite Scarlett as this is the sequel.

Summary: Faced with her family's financial woes, Scarlett has taken on the job of assistant/indentured servant to a newly minted theatrical agent, professional eccentric Mrs. Amy Amberson. Scarlett ends up at the beck and call of a Broadway star (her own age!), dealing with territorial doorman, and walking a small dog with her insecurity issues -- all while starting her sophomore year at one of New York's most rigorous high schools.
It doesn't help that Scarlett's brain is clouded with thoughts of Eric, her former sort-of boyfriend. She has thousands of things to say to him, if only he would call. And then there's her new lab partner, the impossible Max, who's on a quest to destroy what little mind she has left.
Meanwhile, her older brother, Spencer, has become New York City's most controversial villain; her ever-reliable older sister, Lola, is sliding off the rails; and her younger sister, Marlene, most worryingly, has suddenly become...nice.
But somehow Scarlett will prevail...right?

Review: I actually finished this book on Tuesday and I kept putting off doing my review because I have been sick all week (first I got the flu and now I have a cold...) and I just remembered that I hadn't done this yet. So, here we go!
Scarlett Fever picks up right after Suite Scarlett leaves off; Scarlett is working as Mrs. Amberson's assistant and she is still moping over Eric. Marlene is still doing a lot of stuff with the Powerkids, Spencer is still auditioning for countless roles that he isn't getting, and Lola is working at a spa where she is still getting tortured by Chip's rich friends even though she is no longer dating Chip.
I really enjoyed this book, but then again, I have yet to find a Maureen Johnson book that I haven't liked. I definitely liked Scarlett Fever a lot better than the prequel. (Sidenote: I really shouldn't have done this review while being sickly...sorry for the suckitude of it) I overall love Maureen's writing, even though I usually don't read books that aren't fantasy, she has made me love them. Well, her and John Green of course!
Anyway, find Maureen in these places:
http://www.twitter.com/MaureenJohnson
http://www.maureenjohnsonbooks.com
http://www.youtube.com/maureenbooks

Also, if you enjoy the Scarlett books a few character's from the novels have joined twitter! Find them here:
http://www.twitter.com/MaureenJohnson/the-martins

Oh, and update on the contest: I will be going to a Carrie Ryan signing in just over 2 weeks and she just got a bunch of stickers that she will be handing out at the signing, so I will be getting a few of those and probably a signed copy of The Forest of Hands and Teeth, possibly two copies. If that happens then I will be doing a contest before 100 followers.

Next to Review: Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev

1 comment:

IKilledKennyx said...

Damn you just made me want to read this even MORE. I didnt know it was a sequel though so now I gotta go find the first one too lol.