Monday, January 11, 2010

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick


Publishing House: Simon & Schuster
Release Date: October 13, 2009
Pages: 391
Rating: B-

Summary: Romance as not a part of Nora Grey's plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boy at her school, no matter how hard her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch comes along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Patch draws Nora to him against her better judgment.

But, after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is and seems to know more about her that her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should faill into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For she is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those who have fallen--and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost Nora her life.

Review: When I first started this book,to be honest, I didn't like it very much. Up until around chapter, let's say, 15, it just wasn't grabbing my attention. But, since I won it from the official Hush Hush fansite (http://www.fallenarchangel.com/) I was determined to at least finish it. The book begins in the prologue, which takes place in Loire Valley, France, November 1565, with a character named Chauncey. Chauncey is, what is explained in within pages of the book starting, something called a "Nephilim." This is caused when a fallen angel reproduces with a female human.

We are then introduced to another character who's name isn't revealed, who tells Chauncey that he has a fortnight meet him back in that same spot, but doesn't say exactly why.
The first chapter, we are present day, and the story begins. Looking back on the beginning of the book I can't exactly remember why I didn't like it, I just remember it not grasping my by the wrists and dragging me in. Like I said earlier, I really didn't get to the point where I couldn't put it down until I was about half way done with the novel. The ending was what really got me to be Team Hush Hush, without giving away too many spoilers (SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE...wait, what?*) the end of the book was very captivating and made the earlier chapters come together and make sense very well.

Earlier today (technically, yesterday now seeing as it's 1am) I was at a chat held by the Fallen Archangel fansite with Becca, and she was talking about how many people say that the ending was too rushed. I don't think that at all. The last three to four chapters were by far my favourite of the entire book. She was also talking about how a lot of people don't like the character of Vee, Nora's best friend. I also disagree with this, but at times I really wanted to smack her upside the head. But, then again, what book doesn't have at least one character that you love but sometimes they could use a good swift kick?
Overall, this book was good, it wasn't OMIGOSH FANTASTIC, but it also wasn't utter crap.

In the comments, tell me what you thought of this book if you have read it, I would love to know some other points of view on it! Also, if you guys liked my review (*hopes*), I would love it if you guys would follow my blog. I have a lot of things planned for this and I can't wait to get n to them!

*In my opinion, this is the best spoiler EVER!

No comments: